Monday, September 17, 2012

Where we were....

The boys' birthday is Saturday and they will be 3!! Here is where we were 3 years ago today:


Thursday, September 17, 2009
Update on the twins

Had our appointment today and things were not better. Jack had grown and is again right on track. Luke did not grow much at all--only gained about 3 ounces. Dr. C did the doppler flow studies and Luke's blood flow was still decreased and now is having some reverse flow from the placenta. Basically when he is trying to send blood back through the umbilical cord to the placenta, some of it is coming back. Dr. C is very concerned and told us our options today. He is a little confused as to why Luke is having so many problems since he is convinced that they are identical twins. Our options were: deliver or do an amniocentesis today and check them next week. We do not want to deliver this early so we chose the amnio. The point of the amnio is to check for any possible genetic or chromosomal problems. Since Dr. C thinks they are identical twins--it would be almost impossible for one to have something and the other one to be fine. So we did the amnio to find out if Luke has something (and therefore would not be identical).

Now our choices from here get even harder:

1. If nothing comes back and Luke is perfectly healthy--we will deliver early.

2. If something minor comes back on Luke--we decide whether it would be better to deliver or to try to wait it out a little longer.

3. If something major comes back on Luke--like something that would be life threatening and/or non-compatible with life outside of the womb--we discuss whether we go ahead and take them early and risk Jack OR we leave them alone and give Jack the best chance and just hope that Luke could make it too. The ultimate goal in this case would be for Jack's survival and Luke probably not make it.

We chose to do the amnio--it gives the babies a week longer to develop and might give us a few more options. We will go see Dr. C again on Wed. They went ahead and gave me the first of 2 steroid shots to help develop the babies lungs. That will help them if we deliver early. I go back tomorrow to Dr. W and get my second shot.

I want to thank everyone who has been praying for us and ask for continued prayers. I know God has a plan for us--even if I don't understand it. Ken and I are both a wreck and scared for our boys' lives. The decisions we are going to have to make are heartbreaking and so hard. We are trying to lean on God and trust in His plan--even though it is really hard right now. Please keep praying for us and our twin boys. We need all that we can get. God can do miracles and we are asking for one now!    

 I am thankful that God directed us in the right path and we have healthy wonderful boys today! There were many times we questioned our decisons and asked ourselves "what if's". We have learned to leave the "what if's" in the past..there is nothing that can be changed now and even if we could I don't think the outcome could have been much better. We have had a difficult road but things are starting to get easier (medically) and starting to get challenging (tempment and attitude wise!). Thanks for all your prayers. We are so thankful for every single one of them no matter how small.