Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Update from New Mexico

The boys are doing well. Luke goes to the pulmonary clinic at the hospital tomorrow for a follow-up from his 9-day hospital stay. The boys are also going to the doctor in the afternoon for the first half of their one-year shots.

My mom flew in for the week to help Rachel with the boys while I am gone. All I know is that there are some super-secret projects going on at home and I am in for a surprise when I get back Thursday night...

I am in Albuquerque, NM for some orientation/training for my job this next year. The job is helping provide free extracurricular actiities for special-needs kids through Community Connections of Arkansas. Technically the job is a one-year volunteer position through the federal government's Americorp VISTA (Volunteers In Service To America) program. Over 150 volunteers from the southwest region of the country have gathered for a pre-service orientation.

I am working with three great women - Jodie McGinley, Kelly Coffman and Jamie Tyler. We are having a good time, but miss our families and are ready to be back home. It really is nice to lose my responsibilities with the boys for a few days, but it would be much more fun if Rachel were here.

One block from our hotel is "Uptown Albuquerque" with a great view of the Sandia mountains



We passed a patch of cactus along the sidewalk on our walk to Starbucks




We found a cool custom cookie shop that had all kinds of interesting creations






New Mexico is known for their annual hot air balloon festival - there is lots of balloon stuff around



Tonight we decided to skip dinner at the hotel and headed to a Japanese steakhouse



Jodie, Kelly and Jamie



Stopped in the Apple store to check out the new iPods and MacBook Airs



No comments: